Today in the office, we decided we would put together a potluck lunch. The interns selected a recipe from the 2023 Junior Nationals Beef Cook-Off Contest, and everyone else brought a side dish to enjoy along with it! Ashley, Jana, and Kaylee supplied the taco toppings and the meat. Shebly cooked Mexican rice, Wade made crockpot queso, Cassie made corn dip, and Montie topped it off with “homemade” dessert.
This was presented by the state of Maryland and is called Crockpot Beef Tacos; the recipe is provided below!
- 2.5-3 Pound beef chuck roast
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ Teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ Teaspoon cumin
- Onion powder
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 16 ounces jarred chunky salsa
- Flour tortilla (street sized) for serving
- Taco toppings, for serving
- Step 1:
- Season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper
- Step 2:
- On the stove, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the vegetable oil. Sear the roast for about 3-5 minutes per side or until deep golden brown
- Step 3:
- Place the seared roast into a 6-8 quart crockpot. Sprinkle the roast with garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin on top. Pour the salsa directly on top of the roast. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- Step 4:
- Remove the roast from the crockpot. Shred the meat, discarding any fatty bits. Place the shredded meat back into the crockpot and stir it with the accumulated juices. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Before serving, warm the tortillas on black stone. Serve immediately on warmed tortillas, along with your favorite taco toppings.
It was a great day for us at the ASA office to spend time together and enjoy good food and conversation. We loved these Crockpot Beef Tacos, and we are excited to see what everyone comes up with for next year’s Beef Cook-Off Contest with the new cut of meat!